A fire that broke out in the garage has consumed a family home in Meridian.

At about 2:15 this morning the Meridian home owner woke up to the smell of smoke.

Luckily the man was able to get his family of five and the family dog out of the home before it became completely engulfed in flames.

If you're a fan of the hit NBC show "This Is Us" your house going up in flames in the middle of the night has probably been one of your worst fears for weeks. The lead actor on the show dies of a heart attack due to smoke inhalation after going back inside the burning home to save the family dog if you are not familiar with the series.

In this real life tale the family may be o.k. but the house is severely damaged on East Falling Branch Drive near the intersection of Meridian and Victory. According to KTVB the family will have to basically re-build and will be out of the home a good 6-8 months.

The Burnout Fund is currently assisting the family. We're just glad they all got out a-okay.