When you buy your car insurance, you probably spend more time thinking about some coverage options than others. There's liability coverage, uninsured and under-insured motorist coverage, collision coverage and more. There's a lot to consider.

One aspect of your coverage you might not think about is rental car coverage in case a crash renders your car unavailable for several days. Some insurance companies offer this rental coverage as part of their basic packages but for other companies, it's an add-on you have to request.

The Advocates Injury Attorneys suggest checking your policy to see if it includes rental coverage — and exploring the costs to add it if it doesn't.

Many people assume the other guy's insurance will cover the cost of their rental vehicle if the other driver is at fault. It's not a seamless process, though, explains Kelby Monks, an attorney with The Advocates.

For example, let's say you get T-boned by a drunk driver and you suffer minor injuries while your car is totaled. The drunk driver probably won't be in any hurry to discuss it with his insurance company, and if you call them, they won't do much until they talk with the insured and get the proper documentation. In the meantime, you need to get to follow-up doctor's appointments and work.

If you had rental car coverage on your policy, it would cover a certain number of days of rentals — probably enough to get through those first couple of hectic days. You won't have to worry about a big rental bill at a time when, unfortunately, you're dealing with other big expenses.

"It at least gets you to work the next day or to your doctor’s appointments or wherever you need to go," Monks said.

If you or someone you know has been in an accident and needs help filing a personal injury claim, don't hesitate to call The Advocates Injury Attorneys at (208) 471-4444 or chat with them online. They work on a contingency basis, so they don't get paid until you do.