The cause of an early-morning fire in Garden City has been determined to be an accident. Unfortunately, during the accidental blaze, two firefighters were injured. According to KTVB, Boise Fire Department was called out at about 5:30 a.m. to a fire on the 5200 block of NOrth Sawyer Ave. The commercial laundry facility had smoke coming from the building when crews arrived.

Luckily, the building sprinkler system has able to help slow the spread of the fire; leading crews to tackle the fire in about 30 minutes. During that time, two firefighters suffered some injuries; one hurting an ankle, the other received a back injury. Despite the laundry mat getting a scorched wall, KTVB reports it will remain open.

Fires have always been up there on my list of things to be freaked out about. Good thing is that there are steps we can take to prevent damage to our homes/businesses -not to mention injuries, or even worse, deaths. Here are some things to remember about smoke detectors in your home (taken from the National Fire Protection Association):


  • Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
  • Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
  • Test your smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
  • There are two kinds of alarms. Ionization smoke alarms are quicker to warn about flaming fires. Photoelectric alarms are quicker to warn about smoldering fires. It is best to use of both types of alarms in the home.
  • When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside.
  • Replace all smoke alarms in your home every 10 years.