How To: Themed T-Shirts
My family and I are heading down to our very first family vacation in San Diego. I am BEYOND excited not only because we're going to check some of the best attractions in the country like SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo/Safari Park, and Legoland, but because it's the first time I'll get to travel with my bonus kiddo and experience all these fun activities as a family. However, because I have a type A personality I'm that person that goes a little too far planning for a trip (guilty). So, naturally I thought of making these fun Legoland-themed family t-shirts for our trip.
The tutorial I found on Pinterest was super easy (I simplified it even more) and the process could be used for any type of occasion, so I thought I'd share! Here's what you'll need.
- T-shirts - I found mine at Walmart IN THE CRAFT SECTION (they're half the price than on the rack).
- Remnant fabric - I bought Fat Quarters at Walmart, they're the perfect size and only $0.98 each!
- Spray Adhesive - I used Elmer's CraftBond at Walmart
- Sharp Scissors
- Template for your desired shapes
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Fabric Marker (optional)
In my case I just had to find the shape of a Lego head. I found it HERE. Print out your design/s and cut them out.
Use your pencil and lightly trace the shape onto the fabric. Cut out the fabric with your very sharp scissors - I had to sharpen mine because it was awful trying it with dull blades.
Now it's time to spray the adhesive onto the cut out fabric. You'll want to bond the fabric onto the t-shirt within 15 seconds of spraying for a super strong hold. And make sure you're fabric is straight!!
*Optional: you can stitch your fabric on with your sewing machine so you'll know those suckers will never come off.
Here's where the fun part comes in. Add in all those extra little details that complete your look. For my project I found Lego men/women faces online and just drew them on with my fabric marker (be careful though that ink will smear EVERYWHERE if you're not careful--let it dry for at least 24 hours).
I also used some puff paint for the letters and detail in the bow!