What is the Best Movie That Takes Place in Idaho?
Idaho has been the backdrop for quite a few movies over the years both good and bad. Napoleon Dynamite was good while Heaven's Gate was record shattering bad. But what is the best movie that takes place in Idaho?
A few movies for your consideration are, in no particular order: Clint Eastwood's Bronco Billy was filmed here in and around Boise.
There's also Georgia Rule, starring Lindsey Lohan and Jane Fonda.
A home of Our Own with Kathy Bates (which is based on a true story and I loved it).
Talent for the game with Edward James Olmos was filmed in my old hometown of Genesee on the actual baseball field that I played little league on.
Moving, starring the late Richard Pryor was partly filmed and takes place in Boise.
Dante's Peak with Pierce Brosnan and many many more. Which is the best?
Thrillist.com put out a list of 'The Best Movies That Take Place in Every State." And since this is the type of thing that's RIPE for igniting debate and controversy, I thought I would share and get your thoughts. Thrillist explained their thought process like this:
"We tried to select movies that took place mainly in a given state . . . [and] that represent a state's place in the nation's collective consciousness."
Here are some highlights:
1. Alabama: "To Kill a Mockingbird", 1962
2. Arizona: "Raising Arizona", 1987
3. Colorado: "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut", 1999
4. Delaware: "Fight Club", 1999
5. South Carolina: "The Notebook", 2004
6. Georgia: "The Color Purple", 1985
7. Idaho: "Napoleon Dynamite", 2004
8. Illinois: "The Fugitive", 1993
9. Kansas: "The Wizard of Oz", 1939
10. Washington: "First Blood", 1982
11. Maryland: "The Blair Witch Project", 1999
12. Wyoming: "Brokeback Mountain", 2005
13. Minnesota: "Fargo", 1996
14. Nevada: "Ocean's Eleven", 2001
15. New Mexico: "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly", 1966
For my money, I think it's an easy decision. Idaho's best movie is Napoleon Dynamite! It just screams Idaho and it is still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. What about you? What's you favorite Idaho movie?