Stored 9-Volt Battery Causes Meridian House Fire
So I learned something new today that I feel like I should have been educated on long, long ago. In my 35 years I somehow missed the important life memo that stored batteries can cause fires. Housefires, apartment fires, you name it, fires. On a side note that may be a handy back up while camping or prepping end of the world packs. However, considering myself someone who has been adulting for quite sometime now, this seems like important information to have.
Thank you Meridian Police Department for educating the local Treasure Valley masses on the dangers of storing batteries. Specifically 9-volt batteries are the most susceptible to potentially starting a fire. Which is what happened to a Meridian home this week. A housefire started literally from an idol, unused, stored 9-volt battery. Scary stuff.
Here is a brief explication and warning from Meridian Police Department's Facebook Page: "If a metal object touches the two posts of a 9-volt battery, it can cause a short circuit which can make enough heat to start a fire. So, please, store your batteries in their original containers, and when you change the batteries be sure to cover the posts with a cap or tape prior to disposal."
Thank goodness the fire was contained in a short amount of time in the Meridian home and no one was hurt. Damage to the home was somewhat minimal in the grand scheme of things. I am not sure what a home owners insurance policy would say to a battery started fire. I hope you never have to find out. This is clearly not a common thing but still something to be mindful of. If you want more info or ideas here is a link to an in-depth article about how to store batteries properly.